About Apple Silicon M1 chip, On November 11, 2020. Apple held a third press conference in the fall and released a new Mac series. All of which come equipped with Apple’s self-developed M1 chip. Let’s take a look at the tail below and see how strong this Apple chip is for Mac for the first time.
Let’s take a look at the overall performance of M1:
- Integrated memory architecture, 5nm process, 8-core central processing unit, 16 billion transistor pack.
- The CPU speed is increased to a maximum of 3.5 times. The speed of the graphics processor is increased to a maximum of 6 times, and the machine learning speed is increased to a maximum of 15 times.
- Up to 2 times the battery life of previous Mac models.
- With the M1, apps on the iPhone and iPad can run on the Mac.
The details are as follows:
Apple Silicon M1 chip CPU performance / power ratio
The M1 chip is equipped with an 8-core central processing unit, with 4 high-performance cores and 4 energy-saving cores.
Each high-performance core provides single-threaded task processing performance. These allow photographers to edit high-resolution photos on CPU core flyers. Allowing developers to build apps about 3 times faster than before. When four cores are running at the same time. So the performance of multi-threaded processing will be greatly improved.
Four energy-efficient cores take up only one-tenth of the previous power consumption. Together, they can deliver the same performance as existing dual-core MacBook Airs while reducing power consumption. Various lightweight daily tasks, such as checking email or surfing the Internet, are done in an energy-efficient manner. Which extends battery life.
When dealing with manglic tasks, all eight cores can run simultaneously.
Apple Silicon M1 chip Integrated graphics display
The M1 chip features Apple’s most cutting-edge graphics processor. It uses 8 powerful cores and can run around 25,000 threads simultaneously. It can handle everything from simply playing multiple 4K video streams to rendering complex 3D scenes.
From the keynote
What to know about M1
- The M1 chip brings Apple’s neural network engine and greatly improves the processing speed of machine learning (ML) tasks.
- Apple’s latest Image Signal Processor (ISP) further improves video quality through improved noise reduction, extended dynamic range, and optimized auto white balance.
- The latest safety bins provide enhanced safety protection.
- The high-performance storage controller is equipped with AES encryption hardware. Which brings faster and more secure SSD performance.
- Low-energy, high-efficiency media encoding and decoding engines provide excellent performance and extend battery life.
- The Thunderbolt controller designed by Apple supports USB 4 with transmission rates of up to 40G / s and is compatible with greater peripherality than ever before.
MacOS Big Sur Optimized for M1
With the support of MacOS Big Sur and Apple Silicon M1 chip, the number of apps used by Mac users has increased a lot. All Mac software developed by Apple now supports Universal and can run natively on systems equipped with M1 chips. Other existing Mac apps, even if they have not been updated to Universal. Can also run without interruptions with Apple’s Rosetta 2 technology, And iPhone and iPad apps can now run directly on the Mac.
Apple M1 chip for MacBook Air
With the M1 chip, the new MacBook Air features an 8-core central processing unit up to 3.5 times powerful than the previous generation. Up to 8 core graphics processors can speed up graphics processing by up to 5 times. The machine can be increased up to 9 times and the performance of solid-state drives by up to 2 times.
Thanks to the M1’s energy efficiency, the MacBook Air uses a fanless design, a wireless Internet access time of 15 hours, a video playback time of up to 18 hours.
Apple M1 chip for MacBook pro
With the M1 chip, the 13-inch MacBook Pro is 2.8 times faster than the previous model. The 8-core graphics processor is 5 times faster. Machine learning is 11 times faster, and wireless internet time is up to 17 hours. Video playback is up to 20 hours, and the MacBook Pro’s battery life can be up to 2 times that of the previous model.
Apple M1 chip for Mac Mini
The Mac Mini, a flexible and versatile Apple computer, is now equipped with an M1 chip. Its performance is 3 times higher than the previous generation model. The 8-core graphics processor has jumped to a maximum of 6 times the graphics performance, and machine learning performance is up to the previous generation. 15 bar type. Compared to many desktop computers, the Mac Mini is only one-tenth of its body size. But its performance has increased by 5 times.
Two Year Mac Transition Plan
Switching from Intel chips to Apple’s self-developed chips involves major changes to the application’s underlying architecture. The newly launched MacBook Air is the beginning of Apple’s transition to a new series of chips designed for the 13-inch MacBook Pro and Mac Mini Mac.
Apple expects the transition to be completed in about two years.